Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

ConnPIRG is building public support for commonsense solutions to Connecticut's waste problems, including enforcing recycling laws and eliminating wasteful packaging.

The Zero Waste Solution

It’s time to modernize recycling in Connecticut.

Connecticut burns more trash per person than any other state in the country, generating half a million tons of toxic ash every year. We're quickly running out of landfill space for incinerator ash and increasingly shipping it out state.

Recognizing this, the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has set a goal of keeping 58% of our trash out of landfills and incinerators — but Connecticut has been stuck at 30% for the last decade.

The good news is, we have the tools to get to 58% and even further to zero waste.  Communities like Nantucket are already keeping more than 90% of their trash out of landfills and incinerators and Connecticut towns like Darien and South Windsor are over 50%.

In order to get on the path to zero waste, we need to reduce the amount of resources we use, reuse what we can, and recycle the rest. Over the past two years Governor Malloy has created a Modernizing Recycling Working Group and a Resources Recovery Task Force to explore these issues.  Now we are calling on the state to implement commonsense solutions, including:

  • Updating the Bottle Bill to include juice containers
  • Enforcing existing recycling mandates
  • Removing organics from the waste stream
  • Resisting attempts to incentivize incineration

Learn what the General Assembly is doing about these solutions with our Legislative Scorecard. 

Issue updates

News Release | U.S. PIRG | Consumer Protection

We Commend CFPB For Adding Consumer Stories To Public Complaint Database

Yesterday, the CFPB published the first batch (7,700) of consumer narratives or stories to the Public Consumer Complaint Database it began in 2011. We've used the database to publish five reports (so far) analyzing complaint trends in markets ranging from credit cards to student loans but we have also long urged the voluntary addition of stories to the data fields. Now, consumers can learn if what happened to them happened to anyone else. Now, researchers can track which banks are more responsive to particular problems and which ignore their customers. A good resource is now an excellent resource.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

Hill Threats to CFPB Escalate As CFPB Protects Consumers, Servicemembers | Ed Mierzwinski

Today, the House Appropriations Committee, at the behest of both Wall Street and predatory lenders seeking to run amok, will vote to eliminate the CFPB's independence from the politicized appropriations process. Meanwhile, over at the CFPB, important work to protect consumers, including servicemembers, from unfair and predatory financial practices continues.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

Data Breach Here, Data Breach There, Data Breach Everywhere! | Ed Mierzwinski

UPDATED 10 June Re DHS Breach: If you shop with plastic, have health insurance, pay taxes, work for the federal government, or (fill in blank) you’re at risk of a data breach. And with so much information about you already available on the Internet, it’s best not to select easy-search security questions like “Where were you born?” or answers like “Pizza.” What’s your best defense against identity theft? No, it isn’t credit monitoring, it’s a security freeze.

> Keep Reading
News Release | ConnPIRG | Consumer Protection

ConnPIRG Hails General Assembly’s Passage of First-in-the-Nation Student Loan Bill of Rights, Open Source Pilot Program

In the last 36 hours of the legislative session, the General Assembly passed two ConnPIRG-backed pieces of legislation designed to make college more affordable. The Student Loan Bill of Rights will make Connecticut the first state in the nation to establish a student loan ombudsman to regulate student loan servicers and assist student borrowers and parents. The Open Source Textbook bill will establish a pilot program on the use of open-source textbooks, which can dramatically reduce the cost of course materials, at the University of Connecticut in collaboration with the Board of Regents of Higher Education.

> Keep Reading

How Companies Turn Your Facebook Activity Into a Credit Score

This story in The Nation explains our work challenging the way data brokers use "black box," or secret, algorithms to make scoring decisions that may violate the law and deny credit opportunities. This work was also the subject of our recent livestream event featuring Professor Frank Pasquale and his new book, "The Black Box Society." We've now posted an archive of that event, in 3 chapters on our Youtube page.

> Keep Reading

Pages

News Release | U.S. PIRG | Consumer Protection

We Commend CFPB For Adding Consumer Stories To Public Complaint Database

Yesterday, the CFPB published the first batch (7,700) of consumer narratives or stories to the Public Consumer Complaint Database it began in 2011. We've used the database to publish five reports (so far) analyzing complaint trends in markets ranging from credit cards to student loans but we have also long urged the voluntary addition of stories to the data fields. Now, consumers can learn if what happened to them happened to anyone else. Now, researchers can track which banks are more responsive to particular problems and which ignore their customers. A good resource is now an excellent resource.

> Keep Reading
News Release | ConnPIRG | Consumer Protection

ConnPIRG Hails General Assembly’s Passage of First-in-the-Nation Student Loan Bill of Rights, Open Source Pilot Program

In the last 36 hours of the legislative session, the General Assembly passed two ConnPIRG-backed pieces of legislation designed to make college more affordable. The Student Loan Bill of Rights will make Connecticut the first state in the nation to establish a student loan ombudsman to regulate student loan servicers and assist student borrowers and parents. The Open Source Textbook bill will establish a pilot program on the use of open-source textbooks, which can dramatically reduce the cost of course materials, at the University of Connecticut in collaboration with the Board of Regents of Higher Education.

> Keep Reading

How Companies Turn Your Facebook Activity Into a Credit Score

This story in The Nation explains our work challenging the way data brokers use "black box," or secret, algorithms to make scoring decisions that may violate the law and deny credit opportunities. This work was also the subject of our recent livestream event featuring Professor Frank Pasquale and his new book, "The Black Box Society." We've now posted an archive of that event, in 3 chapters on our Youtube page.

> Keep Reading
News Release | U.S. PIRG | Consumer Protection

PIRG Commends Supporters of Duckworth Amendment to Protect Our Troops From High-Cost Loans

Last night, on a 32-30 bipartisan vote, the House Armed Services Committee supported the Tammy Duckworth (IL) amendment to strike language from the National Defense Authorization Act that would have delayed Pentagon-proposed improvements to the Military Lending Act of 2007. It's a critical victory for servicemembers, veterans and their families, although the fight to protect our troops from high-cost loans will continue.

> Keep Reading
News Release | U.S. PIRG | Consumer Protection

PIRG Commends Release of Labor Dept.'s Proposed Rule To End Conflicted Retirement Advice

PIRG today commended the public release of the Department of Labor’s proposed rule that would strengthen the ability for Americans to save for retirement by addressing conflicts of interest that arise when brokers and financial advisers give retirement advice. Wall Street will fight the rule hard, because it requires them to put consumers first.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Report | ConnPIRG Education Fund | Consumer Protection

Trouble In Toyland 2014

For almost 30 years, ConnPIRG Education Fund has conducted an annual survey of toy safety.  Among the toys surveyed this year, we found numerous choking hazards and five toys with concentrations of toxics exceeding federal standards. In addition to reporting on potentially hazardous products found in stores in 2014, this installment of the report describes the potential hazards in toys and children’s products.

> Keep Reading
Report | ConnPIRG Education Fund | Consumer Protection

The Unfriendly Skies

Consolidation in the airline industry, along with pressures created by new security rules and the recent high cost of aviation gasoline, has changed the way we fly. It seems as if every consumer has an airline travel story—how they were trapped on the tarmac, tricked by fees, missed their connection, or lost their bag.

> Keep Reading
Report | ConnPIRG Education Fund | Consumer Protection

Debt Collectors, Debt Complaints:

This is the fifth in a series of reports that review complaints to the CFPB nationally and on a state-by-state level. In this report we explore consumer complaints about debt collection, with the aim of uncovering patterns in the problems consumers are experiencing with debt collectors and documenting the role of the CFPB in helping consumers successfully resolve their complaints.

> Keep Reading
Report | ConnPIRG Education Fund | Consumer Protection

Credit Cards, Consumer Complaints

This is the fourth in a series of reports that review complaints to the CFPB nationally and on a state-by-state level. In this report we explore consumer complaints about credit cards with the aim of uncovering patterns in the problems consumers are experiencing with their credit cards and documenting the role of the CFPB in helping consumers successfully resolve their complaints.

> Keep Reading
Report | ConnPIRG Education Fund | Consumer Protection

BIG CREDIT BUREAUS, BIG MISTAKES

This report is the third of several that review complaints to the CFPB nationally and on a state-by-state level. In this report, we explore consumer complaints about credit bureaus with the aim of uncovering patterns in the problems consumers are experiencing with credit reporting.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Blog Post | Consumer Protection

Hill Threats to CFPB Escalate As CFPB Protects Consumers, Servicemembers | Ed Mierzwinski

Today, the House Appropriations Committee, at the behest of both Wall Street and predatory lenders seeking to run amok, will vote to eliminate the CFPB's independence from the politicized appropriations process. Meanwhile, over at the CFPB, important work to protect consumers, including servicemembers, from unfair and predatory financial practices continues.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

Data Breach Here, Data Breach There, Data Breach Everywhere! | Ed Mierzwinski

UPDATED 10 June Re DHS Breach: If you shop with plastic, have health insurance, pay taxes, work for the federal government, or (fill in blank) you’re at risk of a data breach. And with so much information about you already available on the Internet, it’s best not to select easy-search security questions like “Where were you born?” or answers like “Pizza.” What’s your best defense against identity theft? No, it isn’t credit monitoring, it’s a security freeze.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

Event 5/11 re new book on black box decisionmaking & consumers | Ed Mierzwinski

UPDATED TO CONFIRM CFPB Speaker. We are hosting an event Monday, 5/11, from 9am-noon ET to discuss a new book, The Black Box Society, with author Frank Pasquale. Click Keep Reading to RSVP to attend in person or to watch the livestream. While credit bureaus have long functioned as black box gatekeepers to opportunity, panelists will discuss the growing use of more and more, even less transparent black boxes to categorize consumers in the digital economy.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

U.S. House Considers Delay To Financial Protections for Servicemembers, Veterans | Ed Mierzwinski

(UPDATED 30 April): Last year the Department of Defense proposed needed improvements to the 2007 Military Lending Act, since high-cost lenders were exploiting loopholes to evade the law's 36% APR cap on loans to servicemembers to make loans at 400% APR or more, harming military families and threatening unit preparedness to defend the nation. Now, days before a committee vote, predatory lenders have succeeded in convincing House Armed Services Committee leaders to insert language into the National Defense Authorization Act that would delay the DoD regulations up to a year while needless, redundant studies are prepared. Only in Washington.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

CFPB Begins Payday Regulation Push In Richmond | Ed Mierzwinski

We joined the CFPB in Richmond Thursday for a field hearing on a proposed rule to regulate payday lending and similar high-cost short-term loans. The CFPB's draft rule is comprehensive, covering a variety of loans, but it contains potential loopholes that we and other advocates will urge the bureau to close before it finalizes this important effort. Here's a short blog with some photos from Richmond.

> Keep Reading

Pages

View AllRSS Feed

You Can Help

Your donation supports ConnPIRG’s work to build public support for commonsense solutions to Connecticut's waste problems.

Consumer Updates

Join our network and stay up to date on our campaigns, get important consumer updates and take action on critical issues.
Optional Member Code